Saturday, February 19, 2011

Stretch that Nickel baby!


  I  have at least a dozen good friends who love to save money and have learned how to use coupons on a regular basis. About a year ago, my 
'very good best friend' drug me to one of these classes.  I left early and was aggravated at myself for wasting the $10 for the class. Thinking' " I will never do this! There has to be some sort of trick to really making this work...besides, I shop wisely already!". Well...in a few months I gave it a go-now I almost ALWAYS go to www.southernsavers.com before heading out.There are soooo many great couponing web-sites out there. You can find tons on Facebook, or leave a message for more sites. My favorite is SS. Before shopping, I head to Southern Savers, go to the Publix link-then the weekly ad.  She shows what is on sale and links each item to either a  Sunday insert coupon and/or a printable internet coupon. here are more of my favorite tips.

  • Grocery shop a few times a week if you can-break your lists up so that you spend around $25-$30 (AFTER COUPONS)-so that you can use a $5 off (Rite Aid/ Dollar General/Target or Publix) each trip. You can usually find these on-line. The Dollar General prints on their receipts.

  • Stacking…this is when you use a store coupon and a manufacture coupon on the same item. Publix will take 2 coupons on one item.
Example: Juicy juice-cost is $2 on sale-use a manufacture coupon for $50 off and a Target coupon $1 off-OOP (out of pocket) cost will be 50c.

·        Internet coupons-If you hit the back arrow or backspace-you can usually print 2 of the same coupon. Most sites allow a maximum of 2. here is where being a facebook aholic pays off...be-friend manufactors/frugal websites and other couponers. They daily post freebies, coupons and giveaways. Jump on these-sometimes they go fast! 

·        HARVEY’S is the place to save on meat! You can often buy ground beef for $1.49-1.59/lb! Chicken for 89c/lb! They also have GREAT wed specials and often good deals on produce.

note:I know it is not very lean-but if you brown and drain the fat-it really is pretty good. I buy at least 5 pounds and break up into 1 ½ size packs and freeze. This amt. works well in most recipes. It is good meat and makes great juicy burgers!


·        all*you magazine. This magazine is wonderful y’all! It is full of great coupons, bargaining tips and recipes. It is available only at Walmart or
       get a monthly subscription.
 
·        Rain Checks-here is the deal-LOTS of people are trying to save money-when a really good deal is out there-the item you want may be sold out.
Go to customer service on the way out and ask for a rain check that you can use when that item is restocked-hold on to any coupons that go w/ the deal! Watch your coupon expirations!


Lastly, get together with other couponers to swap/trade coupons you don't use. Thankfully, I don't need any more diaper coupons so I am hoping to trade them in soon!



1 comment:

Amy said...

http://www.southernsavers.com/learn/

if you need more help-here is a great starting place. Good Luck and hang in there! I promise it gets much easier and you will get faster in a few weeks.