Thursday, June 9, 2011

Spinach and Feta Pierogies with Beefy Alfredo

Anyone who really knows me knows I have been honing my couponing skills and also that I love to cook good meals for my family! This is a filling, healthy one "pot" meal that only cost about a buck a person.. Last week Mrs. T's Pierogies were on sale BOGO(buy one get one free) AND I had a couple of $1 off coupons..so I grabbed 2 boxes. I choose the Spinach and Feta thinking they would be yummy and more nutritious than the plain potato and cheese ones. Everyone in my family(well-except my 3 yr old-but he will come around) loves spinach! I also still had some Philly cooking cream on hand~ bought when it was on sale(used a coupon.~was very inexpensive). I have never cooked with pierogies-but they are cute half-circle shaped pastas(think ravioli) stuffed with creamy mashed potatoes and other good stuff. If you don't like ground beef, or can't eat it, try ground turkey or chicken...or even shrimp!
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 mild onion(slice thin)
1 clove garlic-minced
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon Tabasco hot sauce(opt)
a couple of slices -cut up(about 1/4 cup) any cheese you have on hand-I had Colby Jack
1 container Philly cooking cream(garlic or Italian cheese)
1 box Mrs. T's Pierogies (any flavor)-find in freezer section

Pour the pierogies into a large dish .Cook the onion and garlic a few minutes. Brown beef and drain. Add in the milk, cream, and cheese~ stir well. Season with black pepper, Tabasco and salt to taste. Add onions and garlic back to pan. Mix well to combine. Pour over pierogies.{at this point-you can refrigerate and bake later) Top pan w/ foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Serve w/ a cold salad.if desired!

No comments: