Friday, March 6, 2009

My mom's cancer journey


Hey everybody!! Since several of you have expressed concern about my mom's health, I thought I'd take a few minutes to give an update. She is doing very well considering everything. Her attitude has been very good on most days-even remarkable during some tough days...

Last summer Mom found a lump. She was sure it was nothing..but it was something. In a matter of days she was down in Jacksonville scheduled for a radical double mastectomy. After the surgery , we were all devastated to hear the doctor say it the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. I think I can speak for my brothers when I say we thought the cancer must be everywhere. The type cancer she has is very aggressive, so Mom opted to do the 6 months of chemo-every Tue for 30+ weeks. She has completed that course and she began radiation this week. She called me yesterday and was doing pretty well. Putting aloe on the area treated will help with the skin damage. For those who dont know, radiation is horrible on the tissue-basically it cooks ya. Not pretty-but it kills those nasty cancer calls. SHe will have radiation for 6 weeks. Five days a week. Fred, her husband, has been very faithful to be with and support her during all this. Mom is having everything done in Jacksonville, so the stress of being away from home is tough. We are all so thankful that recent tests have had good results...however all this mess will take time to recover from.  We know she will be fine though, and we love her more than she will ever know.

Today I am asking for prayers for my courageous mom. Please say a short prayer that the treatments will not be too painful, the recovery swift. 
Thanks and call your mom if she is still around. Now that I'm a mom, I see how tough the job is. Mom's make mistakes, but they love us like no other ever will.

No comments: